08 March 2010

Chateau de la Napoule

I know everyone is excited to here about Paris...and it should be posted this week, but in the mean time here is a little bit about what I am doing in Cannes.

I’m learning to make every day an adventure.

Friday, February 26th Marked one of the first truly nice days since my arrival (weather wise that is). It was a gorgeous sunny day and the high reached 65F. Given I had no big travel plans for the weekend I really wanted to take the time to explore my own backyard. Off a tip from a fellow student, my closest friends and I set off on a long walk along the beach to Chateau de la Napoule in Mandelieu-La-Napoule. The castle was about a 3 ½ miles each way (so I definitely got my exercise for the day) and the view of the sea and sunshine made for an enjoyable walk.

The Chateau from the water

The castle, which was originally built in the 14th century (destroyed during one of the world wars) and then reconstructed by eccentric American couple, Henry and Marie Clew, stood brilliantly at the waters edge. It was so nice to walk the castle gardens and take in the fresh air and beautiful architecture. This little excursion, though very simple, made me realize that it is so easy to make everyday into a little adventure. There is so much to see in my area and neighboring towns that I can take advantage of on slow weekends. I don’t always have to be running off to Milan or Paris (soon to come). Even that Sunday I made the most of my time by walking in the opposite direction along the beach to Palm Beach. Granted there were no castles in this direction but I still got to see a part of town I have never seen before and discovered a nice park and great stretch of beach to lay out on. I am interested to see what else I discover around me.The Courtyard

Garden


No comments:

Post a Comment